Wednesday, September 5, 2007

List Servers - Painful or Useful

List Servers are they useful or just a big giant pain in the you know what. MMM I had to think on this one and of course do a bit of googling and research. Unbeknown to me I am subscribed to several of them. One provided by my ISP, a Coding Forum (informative and helpful if you are into Web Programming, dull as dishwater if you aren't), Jacob Neilson's Monthly Newsletter, Jacob Neilsen is WWW's leading man, helpful aswell, plus several others which I won't bore you with. I have also joined in discussion groups just to find answers to various things, including Macromedia's Dreamweaver forum - extremely useful.

"Yawn" I hear you say, well I am getting to the point, that is that - list servers have their place in the Collaborative Technologies world, they are informative and helpful, help not only the person subscribed but those who read the threads posted by the various members of the group. It would an interesting exercise to hit count these sites and actually see how many people use the help (and it is a wealth of help and knowledge out there) online. Anyway that would be for another paper, another day.

Downsides ... well I subscribed to one that shall remain nameless as I don't know whether I will get into trouble by naming it. I have since received unlimited spam via email about all sorts of interesting weird and wonderful advertising campaigns, how annoying is that?

So list servers definitely have place in the WWW, in the form of communication they are useful. If you are waiting for immediate responses this is not the place for instant gratification. You may have to wait hours, days or weeks or the site could be outdated and just sitting on the web gathering dust. Watch this one, I experienced it.

The List Server is a place for me to hang out discuss whatever I want with various types of people all sharing the same interest and don't just think that they are for the Techno Junkies, Brad Pitt Forum is alive and well and groups are gathering just to talk about him.

Next Week Texting - so mke sre u r arnd 4 tht. xx00 cul8r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home