Sunday, July 29, 2007

Experience the Second Life

This post is dedicated to my intro to Second Life. Gaming and Playstation or online games have had a limited life with my attention span. I have tried various ones but lost interest after a few moments when things didn't load or I had to read instructions. Then - hello - secondlife.com was introduced by my Lecturer as a way to communicate with people from all over the world

You enter a virtual world where you can be whoever you want to be, look completely different and have a great time interacting with the unlimited supply of different people and creatures that are online with you.

My experience with it so far has been interesting. Quite a few different cultures have interacted with me. The language barrier can be a problem, people will just give you stuff, for example I met a goddess like creature and she gave me skin and told me "the guys love it". I suppose the learning curve is this - to communicate online in a virtual world it is easier to present a photo or some form of personalisation of yourself. People warm to it, they interact better when they have a picture in their head of who they are talking to. I had a guy from Israel ask me to be his girlfriend in Second Life which made me feel a little funny but I suppose it is a way of meeting different types of people. And it is great fun.

I have gotten some of my friends involved but as yet we have all yet to meet up in Second Life - we are all busy and working and not always online at the same time. This seems to be a common denomenator throughout the Collaborative Tech Course as well. We all post our messages but seem to miss each other when online.

I have signed up to messenger but have yet to master it. I consider myself to be Computer Savvy but haven't mastered messenger yet. Just shows that in the world of Technologies you are always behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home