Sunday, August 19, 2007

Culture - What it means to me!

Culture was the name of the game this week. A topic that sparked many emotions with me. As I read and learnt about Culture and being in the world of Virtual Teams. Wow had I known how much this can affect the team you are participating in I would have learnt this ages ago.

All over the world - every country has different cultures - yes I hear you say I know that, but also within those countries there are communities who have different cultures and beliefs, also within communities there are families cultures, who we are, how we are brought up, what we believe in. There are so many factors to this whole Cultural discussion, including culture within a business, within a social setting, within schools, churches, groups, these all convey different beliefs and ways that things are done. These all add to our experiences shaping and moulding how we behave and what we believe in.

Virtual Teams - because of the nature of a Team that could possibly be worldwide we need to respect time frames, use of words, beliefs. It is a huge learning curve and one that must be mastered to lead a team and participate in one.

Netiquette was also part of this discussion this week as well, and I think this is a huge part also of a successful online team. Annoy or upset a team member and try to make up online (very difficult but possible) so by observing Netiquette when online is imperative to a great Team.

Next post will be on my Second Life Experience as it continues...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home