Monday, October 1, 2007

Second Life

Just updating on my Second Life Experience ... I have had great experiences and not so great. I have made some incredible friends. This place is weird but captivating, it is hard not get caught up in it but at the same time, it has been a fantastic experience.

I have met and interacted with people (yes real people) through their Avatars, that live on the other side of the world. I have met Americans who despise their country and what it stands for, the land of the great and the free, is not apparently, what it appears.. a common thought when speaking to people from the US. The dutch are very friendly especially when I inform them I have been there briefly when I was younger, and, oh yeah, I am half dutch. The English are a little standoffish but keen to meet me as I have a big Kiwi sign over my head. The Kiwi's aka New Zealanders, we are just a big friendly bunch embracing being let loose in SL, one American said to me "whats a kiwi, a big ole ugly fruit" hehehe I had to correct her, I couldn't have people thinking that, so I said 'nah it's a small brown flightless bird'. I met a very charming French man who was dumbfounded that I have met Dan Carter (for those reading this that are not of NZ descent.. Dan Carter is New Zealand's top All Black), he referred to our rugby team as 'godlike creatures' and he referred to me as his All Black friend.

The general feeling I get from the people in SL is that they are in there trying to be the opposite from their RL (Real Life). Some don't distinguish the difference. Some are detached from it - I think that I am like this, most of the time, although have been caught up in the odd meaningful discussion and come away into my RL thinking of the whole new world this has opened up. To learn about other cultures, peoples lives and countries that maybe I will never visit.

I have been to Hell (as place in SL) where the sinners hang, been to the most incredible virtual Botanical Gardens where I met a New Yorker who had an amazing take on life. Beaches, Ballrooms, IBM. I have met everything from Web Developers to Property Developers to Art Critics. It is amazing, this, methinks has possibly allowed people to explore what and who is in this world from the comfort of their PC.

I have mixed feelings about it, possibly I spend a little too much time in there but hey could be worse ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home