Thursday, October 11, 2007

And still more Second Life

This seems to take on a life of its own and also probably needs it's own blog. But I just have to report on the fascination that is Second Life.

I have made some real interactions and friendships in here. But there is those who use it for different purposes apart from Education. It seems one that is rampant is an online dating service for Avatars to meet each and engage in possible romances. This is something that is irrelevant to my Collaborative Technologies course but something I felt that needed a post.

Second Life it seems takes on a real form for many people within this community. Every thing I have learnt so far has helped me to interact in here but also stay detached. But one cant help but be curious as to what the thousands of people are in there looking for. I have thought some of the interactions that are going on can't be healthy but lets say for example .. someone who does not have much of a real life, is disabled or suffers from some form social disorder that stops them from interacting much in the real world. Does Second Life hinder or help. People seem to have real feelings about each other in here but how can they, there is no physical attraction but then who said a beautiful mind isn't attractive.

The amazing places that you can visit and have them move you to feel real life feelings is that REAL... Or is it in your mind and you are creating this from the comfort of your PC. Is it a game? For some no it is not .. real feelings and relationships are being developed in here. Not for me I might add but I have had discussions with those who have developed Second Life relationships and are now having Real Life ones with the those they have met.

Is there such a thing as a virtual relationship.. a question to ponder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home